Top 5 things to know about personas
WHAT IS A PERSONA?
Here are the top 5 things I learned about personas from Cooper:
1. Personas should be based on patterns in research. Each cluster that emerges is the foundation of a persona. Here are some of the things to look for when assessing your research:
- Goals: Why your subject is engaged in their task
- Mental models: What your subject believes about the system or product at hand
- Behaviors: What your subject does to accomplish their goals
- Attitudes: What your subject thinks about a system or product
- Skill level: The capabilities that your subject has
- Demographics: The statistical characteristics of your subjects
- Pain points: Things that create frustration, cause too much work or get in the way of what the subject is trying to do
- A primary persona won’t be satisfied if we design for someone else.
- A secondary persona is mostly satisfied with the primary persona’s interface but may have additional needs that should be accounted for.
4. Don’t get hung up on format. Personas can come in all shapes and sizes. It depends on the story you are trying to tell and the person or team who will be using the personas.